Your voice matters. What we do today will have an impact on the world we leave our children tomorrow. This is your opportunity to tell the world what it needs to hear, so we have a greater chance of it being in a better place tomorrow. We will do our best to publish and share your message.
Start the conversation with “Dear World…”
Instructions for Teachers / Parents
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) or Global Goals are a collection of 17 interlinked global goals designed to be a “blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all”. The SDGs were set up in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly (UN-GA) and are intended to be achieved by the year 2030.
You can read more about these goals here on the United Nations website:
The relevance to the Upschool project
Student voice matters. Our teachers understand this – as do most parents.
We want to provide a platform for all voices to be heard – especially the student voices.
The children of today are inheriting the world that we have built for them – and are continuing to build for them.
Now is the time to pay more attention to their ideas. The Upschool project will do this.
How to teach a “Dear World” lesson so your children can share their voice on our platform
1. Talk to the children about the Sustainable Development Goals. There are videos available in the student resources section (suitable for most children 7 and upwards)
2. Ask them to research a goal that they are passionate about. We have a short video and infographic on the “Dear World” page for each goal. You may send them over to the UN website to learn more about each goal too.
3. After doing some research on the goal and becoming familiar with the issues around that goal, ask them to write a short message to the world. It may be the action our world leaders should take, what you would like to see changed in the world, a statistic or fact they found out with a follow up statement or call to action on that fact, a message to those who have been affected by inaction on that goal or anything else you can think of.
* Dear World, I wish schools were more accessible to students in all countries (Goal 4: Quality Education)
* Dear World, I hope one day girls across the world can continue their schooling journey right through to the end rather than having to stop work to help their parents at home (Goal 5: Gender Equality)
* Dear World, I wish we stop cutting down the trees across the world. In 2019, we lost about 30 football fields worth of forest every minute. Imagine all of the animals that we loose in the process (Goal 15: Life on Land)
* Dear World, Within 100 years, rainforests could be completely wiped out. We must act now and think more sustainably (Goal 15: Life on Land)
* Dear World, Please think twice about buying products that have plastic packaging. Ask yourself, is there a more sustainable way of buying the products that you need such as fruit and vegetables? (Goal 12: Responsible Consumption & Production)
Submitting the Responses
Students can head over to upschool.co/dear-world and submit their response on that page.
Teachers & parent are welcome to submit a response too.